Eccentricity #6

I have finally made it to my last eccentricity! Well, I suppose it's not my last, but the last one I will write about. Eccentricity #6 is the fact that I own a record player. I purchased it maybe 4 years ago when I lived in Regina at a garage sale. It cost me 5 dollars, and it actually works! I own a small collection of records, which I sometimes add to when I stop by the Salvation Army Thrift Store in Red Deer. Some of my favourite records include...Bullfrogs and Butterflies, Wham!, Huey Lewis and the News, and The Beach Boys...Thrown into the mix is a little disco and even a Mini-pops album! My brother has some great records in Vancouver...Poison, Metallica, Motley Crue, but I think most of them are unopened...party pooper! I would love to find a few albums from one of my all-time favourite bands who always take me back to my memories of Jr. High school....Def Leppard! Lately I've been struggling, trying to figure out if I should actually get rid of this rather large contraption...My living room would look so much trendier if I put a nice shelf in it's place. But on the other hand, if it got relegated to the spare room, it may never be used again. And although people may wonder just which decade I'm stuck in when they walk into my house, it is something that sets me apart from pretty well everybody I know, and it's a great conversation piece. So should I enter the world of contemporary decorating, or enjoy the strange albums I have found tucked away at the second hand store? ...Anyone care to listen to a little Air Supply?

Comments

shinbone #4 said…
hahaha Air supply - love it!!
love the record player. It has that unique record player sound - and I love that you can put it on fast speed so everything is by the chipminks, or slow speed to you can pretend that everything around you is in slow motion. fanatstic choice for #6.
Kelly said…
One time I let a whole song play on a record I was given before I realized it was actually on the fast speed...I just thought all the singers were sopranos!
the Haazens :) said…
It just wouldn't be you Dags without it!
kelle said…
I love the record player Dags! I thought it was great that you found it when you lived in Regina. My mom has one and I have to listen to my old records when I'm home visiting her. Oh the nostalgia...Bullfrogs & Butterflies... :)
Renee said…
Fast speed...I remember a time when Des and I used to do that with her parents record player....those were the days....Love Def Leppard...if I ever come across an old vinyl of theirs...I'll be sure to let you know!
Swoosh said…
Did you know that I had a record that I never listened to because I didn't know anyone who had a player? I have since released it from my possesion, but you could have saved me much strife if you had blogged about this about 10 years ago!
Unknown said…
I will give you $1 for your record player. I bought a record on Ebay in December and don't have any way of listening to it.
Desiree said…
See...record players are becoming a novelty!! That means that you should keep it.
Kelly said…
Sorry, Mike...$1 just won't cut it...I'm curious what record you have, and same with you Nikki
Swoosh said…
I cannot even remember what it was called. But I think it was something like Christian smurfs, with a title reminiscent of Bullfrogs and Butterflies. Neither of these these things were actually in the title, though. :)
michelle said…
Hi Dags! I should have popped over ages ago!
First of all, I must say that I too, love that Monty Python sketch. Makes me laugh every time.
And I never knew Bullfrogs and Butterflies were on a record. My all time favorite tape as a child! My kiddies love it too!
I will definitely visit again! have a great day.
Unknown said…
I bought the soundtrack for "The Great Escape". I still wonder if it works...