Sorry, Mr. DaVinci


So, I went to see the DaVinci Code last night. I'll begin by saying that I have not read the book, but now I really want to because I figure it must be at least 10 times better than the movie. You'd think that the team of Ron Howard and Tom Hanks would produce something spectacular, but this movie was slow-moving, even boring in parts. I also found it fairly predictable, and I figured out who the "Teacher" was before it was revealed. Boooorrrrinnnnggg--the friend I went with even fell asleep for a few brief moments. The story itself is very good (although they blatantly make up "facts" about the church) and the whole idea of code makes for an intriguing plot. Has anyone read the book and seen the movie? I was told that the movie is very similar to the book, but I can hardly believe that since there has been so much raving over the book. Anyone else seen the movie (and Tom Hanks' bad haircut)?

Comments

the Haazens :) said…
You should talk to John about it. He's been studying it for the Sr. High youth Bible study. He's read the book and just saw the movie too.
Kelly said…
Yep, we talked about it a bit this morning!
ZimZen said…
Our preacher man is doing a whole series on it, starting next Sun.

I once found an elaborate code written within the confines of a Pringles chip. It declared that the rapture will occur Spring 2009, er, either that or Pringle was Jesus' second cousin. I may need help in decoding the chip exactly...
Swoosh said…
I read the book, and decided that I wouldn't bother with the movie. I kinda liked the book, but there were enough parts of it that I really just wouldn't like to visualize.
shinbone #4 said…
I read the book, I haven't seen the movie yet. you would think it would be fairly fast moving... although hopefully better written than the book. I found it mediocre at best. written for people who want to feel clever. The clues are just easy enough that you can solve them in a matter of minutes (or less) at least just ahead of the characters who are all supposed to be genius. And it's relying on theories that haven't been fully thought out or researched, no matter what the author claims... even before the book hit the big time, you could spend a few hours online and find all sorts of stuff to back up and or refute his "evidence". Ridiculous. I think the book is popular because it appeals to our pride. It's not the worst book I've ever read, but it is by far not the best either. REALLY REALLY kind of average. I expect the movie will be the same. sadly. well... maybe that's good actually.
Renee said…
I've read the book and seen the movie...I liked the book better than the movie...but I didn't mind the movie..better then what's been out there lately....I liked the idea of the story...hated the author's writing...I thought it was amatuer writing at it's best. One should definitely read the book before seeing the movie. There are parts that one would go hugh? at if you don't and you'd probably find it boring or confusing.

I figured the movie would be faster paced...but it's not that far off from the book in my opinion. They could have however, picked someone other than Hank for the main character. But that's just my opinion:-)
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen or read either but I've heard the prequill book Angels and Demons is way better than the Da Vinci Code.
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen or read either but I've heard the prequill book Angels and Demons is way better than the Da Vinci Code.
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen or read either but I've heard the prequill book Angels and Demons is way better than the Da Vinci Code.