Eggnog!!

Well, some of you remember that I have blogged about eggnog at least twice in the past, and so I'm thinking maybe I need to make it a yearly tradition. I LOVE eggnog....and I'm not just talking about the store-bought kind, I mean home-made-with-a-raw-egg eggnog. Fresh eggnog is the best! But I will usually settle for the refrigerated stuff...and I've even been known to drink Soynog. It's not so bad. When I was living in Costa Rica, you could buy eggnog year-round; it's called "Rompope". But unless you like a little "kick" to your eggnog, you have to scour the shelves for non-alcoholic rompope. I just realized today that I haven't seen any eggnog on the shelves here in Caracas. I guess that's not surprising, but I was kinda hoping.

On a side note, we are not able to buy fresh milk in the grocery stores here. We buy the "long shelf life" milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated until after you open it (and maybe even then it doesn't really need refrigeration...I don't know). There is often a little spot cleared in the refrigerated section for fresh milk, but it usually sits empty and if the store does happen to get it, it sells out super-fast.

Anyway, eggnog. Last week I left the country for a few days to renew my visa (I'm scared to disclose where I went for fear that my friends in the frozen north will pelt me with snowballs the next time they see me) and in one of the grocery stores there I spotted canned eggnog. I picked it up and took a quick look and then put it back, thinking how odd it would be to drink eggnog out of a can. Although in retrospect, I guess it's no more odd than drinking a raw egg. Now I'm sad I didn't buy it...but I am determined. I now have a mission, and that mission is to drink eggnog in Venezuela, out of my Christmas mug, while listening to Christmas music and watching my Christmas lights twinkle.

I'll just have to shut my curtains to the palm trees and blast the air conditioning.

Comments

Ziz said…
If you see a fat man, who’s jolly and cute, wearing a beard and a red flannel suit;
And if he is chuckling and laughing away, while flying around in a miniature sleigh;
With eight tiny reindeer to pull him along;
Then – let’s face it – Your eggnog’s too strong!! (Author Unknown)
shinbone #4 said…
I can't wait to see you again... I will feed you all the eggnog your little body can handle!
Desiree said…
I feel for you Kelly!!! Maybe go ice skating and drink hot chocolate, will that work?