An update from your favourite transient/loiterer/wanderer

Well, time for a little update! We have moved into the Hiebert's house that they will be renting. I will be staying with them for the next few days, and seeing as there are 5 bathrooms in this house, it is easy to spread out a bit! I'm hoping to get documents signed with my landlord in the next day or two then get moved into my apartment. It is proving to be difficult to rent here in Caracas. The laws are in favour of the renters, not the landlords and so many people would rather their apartment or condo sit empty than risk renting it. But this is where being a "foreigner" is actually to our benefit, and they are more open to renting to us because we are connected with a church.

These days have been exhausting trying to tie up loose ends and get some shopping done. My most awkward moments always seem to be when I'm shopping, maybe because I'm under pressure and just don't know the vocabulary. Those are the moments that are discouraging. Then there are light moments, like the other day when our taxi driver put on some crazy dance club music and asked us to translate it for him! Chris did an awesome job, and of course, avoided translating the inappropriate bits....we were all laughing so hard! Burning up the dance floor! Raise the roof! There is just no way to translate some things into spanish....

Tomorrow morning we will be meeting with Pastor Eduardo to discuss expectations, involvement etc in the church over this next year. Please pray that we will be able to communicate clearly with each other.

The last few days I have really been missing Costa Rica and it's familiarity. Things just seemed....easier there. But I remember our first few months in San Jose and the difficulties of transportation, shopping etc. and I am hopeful that soon Caracas will become just as familiar. I'm thinking the remedy (for anything, really) might be a beach day....hmmmm.......

Comments

The Yee's said…
It's always nice to be settled. Here's hoping for a quick and smooth transition to your new "home" and your new place of work!!!