A Small World Becomes Claustrophobic

So I recently noticed that I've been blogging for about 1 year and 5 months. This will be my 106th post. I've been blogging a little less frequently, and I believe this would be because of my recent infatuation with finding "friends"...yes, myspace and facebook have hooked me (and I would have to say that facebook wins out over myspace). They are so addicting because you can find friends that you haven't seen or heard from in ages, and you are given an excuse to say hi to them and find out what they're doing. Even though they're not really a "friend" anymore, you can view information about them, see pictures of them, and track who they talk to. It may sound creepy, but I'm sure enjoying it! One girl found me who I haven't even talked to since elementary school days...it took me a few minutes to figure out who she even was (she was going by her married name)! I got thinking (yes it happens) the other day how even 5 or 10 years ago, this was an impossibility. Unless you maintained a phone/writing relationship with someone who you are far away from, you may never see or hear from that friend again. The internet is making the world so much smaller, and now I can even keep up to date on people I never thought I would cross paths with again. On the other hand, I have friends who live here in Sylvan and because of busy lives, the only way I keep up with them is by the internet. That's a little strange, when I have to send a note over facebook to a friend who lives down the road because I haven't seen her for so long. That is probably when these obsessions become a little unhealthy...

Comments

kelle said…
Since you introduced me to facebook, I've become a little obsessed with it. It's cool, because I have found people I haven't seen or spoken to in years! Although, it is a little strange thinking that while I'm "stalking people", I'm being "stalked " as well.
the Haazens :) said…
That's so true...I was just thinking about that too. I remember even my grade 12 year the 'internet' was still quite a foreign thing that only computer geeks new about! Even at CBC for that matter...remember the stuffy little computer lab?! I didn't even have an e-mail address until I did my online course with Mark Boda the first year we were living out at the farm. How weird that we communicate now online even more than over the phone!! Maybe I'll have to set up a facebook account again just to see who comes up! Or then again, maybe not=)