Wherefore Art Thou, O Toilet Paper?

Over the past year, it is true that we have experienced shortages of various things....meat, milk, flour, sugar.  But imagine my surprise when yesterday at the local grocery store, I couldn't find toilet paper!  I also went to a drug store, but there was none there either.  Nobody seemed to be panicking over it, so I know that it must be available in other stores at the moment, so today I will continue my search for the elusive cottony goodness.  I don't want to blow out of proportion the things that we have given up to be here in Venezuela, because really, the things that I can't get here are truly things that I can live without.  Nor am I starving or desperate for a little pampering.  I have just had to learn to get creative and/or find things made here in Venezuela to fill the gaps of things I miss from home.  And I must admit, I have found some really great stuff!  My favourite treats as of late have been gelato, and Kindy (a lime drink concentrate).  I know that I still have it so much better than so many people in the world, and even in this country.  God has blessed me greatly.  I was also reminded by a conversation I had with a friend the other day of how much more grateful I am of the little things, than I was just 3 years ago.  I receive so much more joy in the small things, and that is something I don't want to lose, especially when I'm back in Canada.  So it sounds weird, and maybe slightly inappropriate, but I want to say that I acknowledge the joy of toilet paper! And here's hoping a bit of that joy comes my way in the next day or two!

Comments

Kelly said…
Operation TP was successful!!!! :D