A Book...


Well, as you can see, the lack of posts here in the new year confirms that I am still recovering from my holiday season. I'm back at it with a very busy winter/spring ahead...I'm taking a class so that is taking up a lot of spare time with reading, quizzes, classtime etc. I'll try to post more about it another day. I had a great Christmas, the best thing being time spent with friends and family. The second best thing is that I got to do lots of reading! I picked up 2 books before I left for the frozen north, and figured I'd maybe get through one...and wouldn't you know it, I made it through both! Some of my blogging friends are super dedicated and have signed up to do book reviews on their blogs. Unfortunately I just don't have the time for that, but since I lucked out with 2 great books over the holidays, I thought maybe I'd share. One book I read was called "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. You can find it just about everywhere these days, since they have already made a movie out of it that is due to come out later in 2009. It's kind of a bleak book, taking place in a post-apocalyptic-type world. There has been a disaster of some sort that has swept over all the earth, and only a small number of humans are left to navigate through the charred remains of the world. Interestingly, the author never mentions what exactly has happened and you are left to use your imagination. The story revolves around a father and son (the names of these characters are never mentioned either!) and their journey along a road somewhere in the States, the trials they face but ultimately it's an amazing story of the love between these two contrasted with the bleakness and darkness of the world they live in. I would recommend this book, it's an easy read to get through (oddly there are no chapters, but lots of dialogue) and it really is a very unique book. The author uses such poetic language throughout, that was a real surprise. It's a beautiful book despite the dark imagery. I'm interested to see the movie when it comes out. It has the potential to be a blockbuster, but if they veer too far from the original story, it could be just a disaster. Another book of McCarthy's, "No Country for Old Men" was turned into a fantastic movie (in my opinion of course) so I hope this turns out well too. Well, I am going to leave my second book for another day. I'm off to finish folding clothes then hit the hay.

Comments