Baby Stepping


No, I did not take this picture, but I DID go out on a kayak yesterday! Thanks again, Des! She was kind enough to give me a quick lesson and shove me off from shore in her kayak! And once I got out there for a bit, I really didn't want to come back in. It was so calm and peaceful out on the water (there was only one motorboat out on the lake...very rare for Sylvan!) and I was able to get a bit of a feel for manoevering. Don't worry everyone, if it tipped over I would have been ok because the skirt Des has is not a tight one, just loose with a drawstring so I would have slid right out! That was an initial concern of mine! But I felt very safe in it, and I can't wait to go out again! So the only thing is, now I'd really like a boat of my own...but the prices can be a little scary! I can't even buy a new car let alone a little boat! So I'll just put it out there if anyone knows of someone who wants to get rid of a kayak collecting dust in their garage for cheap or for free, you know where to find me! This was an awesome babystep for me, I always thought it would be so cool to go out in one, but I was too scared to go try it myself. For now I'll stick to the lake, not sure if I see any rapids in my future! I think my next baby step will have to be snorkeling...something I've always been afraid of too. But I think that to fully enjoy the experience, I'll have to do it somewhere tropical...I don't think Sylvan will cut it unless I want to observe seaweed, minnows, and an occasional beer can.

Comments

Unknown said…
One of my middle schoolers and her dad just bought kayaks. I thought it would be cool until they mentioned needing a skirt. I don't know if I want to go skirt shopping.
kelle said…
Good for you!!
Tammy said…
Yay! I've always been afraid of Kayaking too - maybe I'll try it sometime! I have tried snorkeling though and it's super easy!
shinbone #4 said…
sounds fun... I hope you find the kayak of your dreams - I'll keep my eyes open for you :D